UPDATE: The Mission & Service Committee wants to thank our congregation for their incredible generosity toward this collection. This project has been a tremendous success.
To date we have collected close to 400 jackets, sweaters, and sweat shirts, 57 hygiene/first aid kits, 12 blankets, a large box of new warm socks, 6 large boxes trail bars, 37 pair of new Levis, & $200 in donations. Most of these have already been distributed via Isaiah House.
Due to an unexpected logistical issue with distributing more items, we are ending the collection of jackets on Friday, Jan. 22, a week early. We will continue to collect hygiene kits until Jan.28.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this collection. And special thanks to Kathi Smith, Tommie Kozlov, Jan Wilson, and Pam Kamps for “going above and beyond”.
The 2019 Point in Time Census of homeless people counted over 4,000 unsheltered homeless people in Orange County. That census has been shown to be undercounted and, with Covid, the number this year has increased dramatically.
IUCC Mission & Service Ministry will be working to help Santa Ana’s largest unsheltered homeless population, with your help, by donating Jackets & Sweaters or Hygiene & First Aid Kits. Select either one.
1) Jackets&Sweaters&SweatShirts-Weallhavetheseitemsinourclosets that we haven’t used in many months. We are looking to collect jackets and sweaters for all genders in any sizes. With the colder weather, these items literally can save a life.
2) First Aid & Hygiene Kits – An M&S member has donated 50 small backpacks to hold these listed items. It will be a great help if you place the listed items in a bag. Please donate the entire 12 items listed if possible:
- Face masks (paper not cloth)
- Package of Wet Wipes or wash cloth
- Small Ibuprofen or Tylenol
- Band Aids
- Hand sanitizer
- Tooth paste and tooth brush
- Anti-bacterial ointment
- Warm, thick socks (one pair)
- Bottle of Water
Dollar Tree has most items.
IUCC will have only one bin available outside the Narthex from 9:30 to 4:30 from Monday through Thursday. Again, put all 12 items in one bag and drop in bin. Make sure your Jacket/Sweater donations are in a plastic bag & placed next to the bin.
Questions? Call Steve Goetz (949) 436-1946 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org Many thanks from the Mission & Service Ministry !!!